Friday 20 February 2009

United Laziness

As children being raised by our elders we are brought up and encouraged to be proud of the country we live in, proud of who we are. Being a child of the United Kingdom however, we are often raised, if not by our parents, by our friends and peers, to hate outside of our own country, and in many cases, our own religion or race.

Tonight I watched a program on a country shown to be torn by poverty and war. Yet the communities which formed in this poverty stricken country, were something I had never come across in the UK. I would like to talk about this subject on a much larger scale, but knowing as little as I do so far, I will only go by what I know in fact.

Watching this program moved me, made me think of my own life, and compare the ways in which I grew up, strived, and flourished to the simple ways these children and adults do. I fear that the western world has detached itself so much from these far countries, that there is no possible way of changing the minds of generations to come.

The majority of westerners view these programs, and after they have ended, too has all thought of this matter. They seem to look at what’s in front of them as something of another planet, just a TV program, nothing more. Where as I see it as close enough to be next door. I appreciate more in my own life, and aim to change certain aspects of it when learning of such things, as everybody else continues to go about their same old business. In order to change, a person can only do so if they truly want to. No one wants to change anymore. We are too comfy in our pig-ignorant country.

The way in which these developing countries live, is just the way that they live. To them it is life; it is survival, by all means a harsh survival, but nothing more. I see life in these communities that I envy, that all new generations here will miss out on. Why is it because our country has money, that our families cannot sit around the table together to eat?
Being born to this country, I’ve appreciated every possession it has given me. So being, it makes me sad that I despise the very fibre of our culture and community. We talk about our heritage and our history so proudly, but what do we have to show for it? Crime figures through the roof. Children bred to be adults that can’t cook, clean, or work. It is a Lazy nation. I will now call it United Laziness, for this describes us far more accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment